Stretching to Relieve your Back Pain
Back pain can make it difficult for you to maximize your performance and feel your best. In fact, it can be challenging for you to stay focused if you experience a debilitating pain in your back. Because of the effect of back pain to one’s daily life, a lot of sufferers turn to medicines and surgery to get their much-needed relief. Fortunately, there are lower back exercises and stretches that you can perform to relieve your back.
How Stretching Works for Back Pain
Regular stretching and movement can help reduce back pain by relaxing tight muscles and improving blood circulation to nourish the spine. Aside from loosening the muscles and getting rid of back pain, regular stretching also strengthens the back and reduces your chances of
coping with back pain in the future.
It is important to stretch the legs and back to maintain or improve movement for daily functions. Also, stretching can help in increasing back resilience so you can perform more activities without increased pain.
Effective Stretches for Back Pain
Below are some stretches that you can incorporate into your everyday routine to relieve back pain and maximize your performance:
- Child’s pose. This helps by improving the spine’s mobility while relaxing the lower back muscles. You can perform this by sting your hips back while reaching out your arms forward. Ensure you feel a mild stretch in your back. Stay on this stretch for ten seconds and repeat this five times.
- Cat-camel back stretch. While maintaining spine mobility, this stretch strengthens the back and abdominal muscles. Arch your back towards the ceiling and hold for five seconds. Then arch your back towards the ground and hold again for five seconds. Repeat this ten times.
- Hip flexor stretch. This stretch increases flexibility in hip flexors which, in turn, helps reduce back pain in upright activities. While kneeling on the mat, lean forward towards the bent front knee until you feel a stretch in front of the other thigh. Hold this for ten seconds and repeat five times.
Making Stretching an Everyday Routine to Relieve Back Pain
You can achieve back pain relief if you consistently perform stretches every day. To make sure stretching works and get maximum benefits from your routine, do it on a daily basis. Below are some ways to incorporate stretching into your daily routine:
- Do it first thing in the morning. You are more likely to perform some stretching exercises before you start doing anything else. Stretching first thing in the morning makes it easier for you to get into a regular habit but also increases blood flow to your muscles. As a result, you will experience a boost in energy which you need to get through your day.
- Take small stretch breaks. You can do these throughout the day. Just set an alarm to be reminded of the time to get up and stretch every couple of hours.
- Stretch before you hit the bed. Stretching before you sleep will help in relieving any tension from your day, relaxing the body and making it easier for you to drift off to sleep.